A 47 year old man has been jailed for nine years for the attempted murder of a woman during a sustained and violent attack at a hotel in Lossiemouth.
Mohammed Ahmed was sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh on Thursday, 20 August, after previously being found guilty following a trial at the High Court in Inverness.
The attack happened at a hotel in Lossiemouth in November 2022.
Police Scotland said Ahmed subjected the woman to a horrific level of violence during the sustained assault.
The woman subsequently reported what had happened to police and Ahmed was arrested the following month in December 2022.
The case eventually came to trial at the High Court in Inverness, where proceedings concluded on 8 July this year.
Ahmed was found guilty of attempted murder.
He appeared at the High Court in Edinburgh for sentencing on Thursday and was ordered to serve nine years in prison.
The court also imposed a non harassment order.
Detective Sergeant Lynsey McLean said:
“Ahmed inflicted a sustained attack on the woman and subjected her to a horrific level of violence.
“I’d like to thank the woman for her support while our inquiries were ongoing and hope today’s sentence will allow her to move forward in her life.
“Domestic crime, in all its forms, remains one of Police Scotland’s top priorities.
“Any disclosures made to us will be investigated thoroughly with the utmost professionalism and sensitivity to bring perpetrators to justice.”
The sentencing brings the criminal proceedings against Ahmed to a conclusion almost four years after the attack took place.
Police have also used the case to underline their commitment to investigating reports of domestic crime and bringing those responsible before the courts.




