Nominations are being invited from people seeking election to 8 Highland community councils covering areas in Easter Ross, Ross-shire, Inverness, Lochaber and Skye
Community Councils are voluntary organisations that express the views and concerns of local people within their area across a wide range of issues from new buildings and roads to local services and facilities.
The scheme for the establishment of Community Councils can be downloaded from www.highland.gov.uk/elections
The community councils’ welcome local residents to get involved and are looking for people to put themselves forward.
The need to hold interim elections has come about due to the resignation of some members, which have brought the 8 community councils down to below half of their memberships.
The ones affected are listed below along with the number of vacancies to be filled.
- Conon Bridge Community Council (6)
- Cradlehall and Westhill Community Council (7)
- Creich Community Council (5)
- Glencoe and Glen Etive Community Council (5)
- Kinlochleven Community Council (5)
- Minginish Community Council (8)
- Strathdearn Community Council (6)
- Tarbat Community Council (4)
If you want to support your local community, please consider standing for your Community Council.
To qualify you must be 16 years of age or over (by the date of the close of nominations), be registered as an elector on the local government electoral register and resident of the community council area.
A Nomination Form can be obtained via:
- download by clicking here
- request by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- contact the Ward Manager responsible for the area. Details available published online
Completed nomination forms must be submitted to the appropriate Ward Manager and must be received not later than 12noon on Tuesday 31 January 2023.
Copies of the form may also be received electronically as long as they have been completed correctly and contains both the signature of the candidate and witness.
If any of the 8 Community Councils receive valid nominations by the deadline that exceeds its membership number, an election will take place on Thursday 2 March 2023 via postal ballot.